Every other Thursday at 1pm, the KHT team gathers on Zoom to share skills and chat about what we can learn from each other as fringe theatre makers.
We've begun inviting along guest speakers - including Nic Connaughton, Emma Rice, Kate Farrell and more - to share what they know with our staff and guest ADs during The Takeover, and we’ve decided to open up these informal chats to our artist community.
If you would like to be kept in the loop about these skillsharing sessions, please register your name and email below and we will send you the link to join the call (absolutely free!).
- Thu 31 Aug 1pm - David Ralf (Executive Director: Theatre Deli) on Cashflow: Α New Dimension for your Budget.
- Thu 14 Sep 1pm - Jamie Armitage (Co Director: Six The Musical, Resident Director: Almeida Theatre, Artisitic Associate: King's Head Theatre) on Demysifying the role of the Director.
- Thu 5 Oct 1pm - Part 1: Sasha Wilson (Artistic Director of Out Of The Forest Theatre) on Creating a Play from Historical Provocation: The Buildiing Blocks
- Thu 19 Oct 1pm - Pravesh Kumar (MBE, Artistic Director of Rifco Theatre) on Making Culturally Diverse Musicals
- Thu 2 Nov 1pm - Part 2: Sasha Wilson (Artistic Director of Out Of The Forest Theatre) on Creating a Play from Historical Provocation: Find Your Storyteller
Any questions? Please email [email protected].
Trainee Resident Directors
Established by founding artistic director Dan Crawford in 1994, King's Head Theatre ran this training programme which won the Queen’s Jubilee Award in 2002.
The programme consisted of 12-month placements for emerging theatre directors to have the opportunity to work on productions in our theatre, gaining skills as an assistant director. They also took part in weekly training sessions and was designed for early-career theatre-makers who may have had some small scale experience but wished to increase their skills.
The programme was an educational training programme and was undertaken on an unpaid and voluntary basis. It is currently under review, and we are working towards creating a more sustainable and meaningful programme long term. We are currently not taking on new trainees.
Previous Trainee Resident Directors have included: Katie Mitchell, Michael Longhurst, Tania Azevedo, Aran Cherkez, Amber Sinclair Case, Jamie Armitage, Ben Anderson, James Callas Ball, Alex Jackson, Jenn Davis, Helena Jackson, Jennifer Davis.
Programming & Award opportunities:
Stella Wilkie Award
East 15 Acting School students studying on the 3-year Contemporary Theatre course present two seasons of new plays each year, called the Debut Festival. Debut Spring is text based and Debut Summer is devised work. King's Head Theatre Producers and Associates attend all plays and choose a winner, who is awarded the King's Head Theatre & East 15 Stella Wilkie Debut Award.
- 2022 - The Benefits of Disabled Sex by Sonny Howes and Under The Rug Theatre
- 2020 - Blue Beneath My Skin
- 2019 - I Lost My Virginity to Chopin's Nocturne in B-Flat Minor
- 2018 - Splinter by Molly Byrne
- 2017 - Yvette by Urielle Klein-Mekongo, directed by Meriel Hinsching
- 2016 - Buzz by Fat Rascal Theatre
- 2015 - SN1 Wilts by Neo Mothola, directed by Gabrielle Ciambrone
- 2014 - A* by Luke Taylor
- 2013 - Sandpits Avenue
Adrian Pagan Award
Adrian Pagan was a Stage Manager for 10 years before his first play, The Backroom, won the Verity Bargate Award in 1996. The Award was established after his tragic death at the age of 39 to recognise unconventional routes into writing for the stage.
The award ran from 2014 to 2020 and included the following productions:
- 2014 - Dead Party Animals by Thomas Pickles
- 2016 - Russian Dolls by Kate Lock
- 2018 - Sex with Robots and Other Devices by Nessah Muthy
- 2020 - No Strings Attached by Charles Entsie